|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Closing Date:||20 November 2019|
We are looking for a Purchase Officer to join EMBL and its Epigenetics and Neurobiology Unit. Based near Rome, Italy, he/she will have responsibility for the procurement and contractual aspects related to the purchase of goods and services for the research activity of the Unit.
You will report directly to the Head of the Unit and collaborate frequently with the Headquarters. Together with a highly integrated team of 4 administrative officers, you will be responsible for:
- Making requisitions, placing and following orders of goods and services for the Unit (e.g. laboratory reagents and consumables, scientific and service equipment, computer equipment, equipment spare parts, maintenance contracts, rental contracts etc.), and ensuring that EMBL’s Financial Rules and Regulations are met throughout all stages of the procurement process.
- Advising the requisitioning groups on the full range of procurement issues, placing orders and managing the procurement process through to delivery.
- Negotiating sales terms and conditions with suppliers and interacting with them for all issues related to orders, deliveries and invoices.
- Conducting market research and evaluating suppliers and quotes to ensure goods and services are procured at a competitive price, delivered in a timely manner and where appropriate with defined after sales service. This may require assessment of suppliers to other parts of EMBL.
- Supervising the Unit’s stock of consumables and performing the year-end inventory. Dealing with import procedures and producing related documents.
- Requesting prepayments to the Headquarters Accounts Payable team and following up on payments to the suppliers.
- Provide local SAP Finance and SAP Web Budget View / Business Objectives support for local users.
- Contribute to audit inspection as required.
- Monitoring internal budgets and advising both budget holders and the Head of Unit on the status and progression of expenditure.
- Preparing the annual budget of the Unit and calculating year-end accruals.
- Calculating and reviewing the Full Economical Cost of internal services.
- Performing periodical assets inventories.
- University degree in Business Administration, Contract and Procurement or equivalent and Purchasing experience of at least five years.
- Good notion of accounting principles.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of and user proficiency in MS Office and Internet.
- Very good knowledge of and user proficiency of SAP MM module or any other equivalent software is essential.
- Excellent communication skills in order to build and maintain good relationships with suppliers and liaise effectively with management, staff and partner organizations.
- Fluency in English and Italian is essential. An excellent command of spoken and written Italian is required in order to deal effectively with local companies. A good command of German would be desirable but not essential.
- Excellent organizational skills, a problem-solving attitude and solid team work experience.
- Self-initiative and the ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to successfully work in a small team whose success depends on highly integrated team work.
You might also have
Although not essential, previous experience gained from working within a scientific environment and a sound knowledge of the research branch suppliers would be an asset.
Why join us
We offer to you:
- A dynamic environment, a competitive salary and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family.
- A flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity.
- An inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance.
- To be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT). Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences whilst actively engaging in technology transfer activities, and to help integrate European life science research at all levels.