The Protein Expression and Purification Core Facility provides scientific advice and assistance regarding all experiments related to protein expression, purification and biophysical characterization.
The facility expresses and purifies proteins both from E. coli and insect cells. For the recombinant protein purifications we implement a large array of chromatographic techniques. We can also perform quality control assays probing the folding state and stability of the recombinant proteins. We strive to stay up-to-date with the latest scientific developments and trends in the field and test out new products and protocols for our users. Furthermore, we maintain an extensive collection of expression vectors and bacterial strains and we also have various frequently used proteins such as for example proteases and polymerases readily available. More detailed information about our services and how to access the facility can be found in our guidelines.
- Screening of expression constructs in different E. coli strains and culturing conditions using our automated liquid handling platform
- Baculovirus-mediated protein expression in insect cells
- Purification of recombinant proteins using a variety of chromatographic techniques
- Protein quality control
- Characterization of proteins, protein complexes and the interactions of proteins with various types of molecules using biophysical techniques
- Preparation of injection material for immunizations and purifications of antibodies from serum
- Teaching and training of users and visitors in all aspects of protein expression and purification techniques
We are open to collaborations with academic and industrial partners to assess new products or technological developments. Furthermore, we have initiated a network of protein facilities across Europe called Protein Production and Purification Partnership in Europe (P4EU) to improve information exchange and the evaluation of novel technologies.