Information for Data Subjects
According to Article 12 of the EMBL Internal Policy 68 (equiv. to Article 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679)
The personal data you provide to the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) upon registering for or expressing interest in attending a course or conference will be processed under the control of the EMBL Course and Conference Office (CCO) for the purpose, firstly, of allowing you to attend as a member of the audience or speaker and, secondly, of informing you of relevant upcoming courses and conferences organised by EMBL thereafter.
To fulfil its mandate - see Article II (2) of the agreement establishing EMBL in 1973 (link) - EMBL is required to provide advanced training and teaching in molecular biology. The legal basis for the processing of your data is the fulfilment of that mandate. An additional legal basis with regard to attending a course or a conference is the need to perform the service contract arising between you and EMBL when you register for one of the events.
You are not obliged to provide your personal data to the controller. However, without it, EMBL will not be able to facilitate your taking part in its courses or conferences.
Your personal data may be disclosed to recipients as and when set out below:
- If you choose to register for an event - to Ungerboeck Systems International GmbH, a German company which provides EMBL’s events software and operates the technical infrastructure for the database in which the data will be stored.
- If you choose to pay the fees to attend the courses and conferences organised by the controller with a credit or debit card, your card details will be transferred to WorldPay Limited, a UK company used by EMBL to securely process payments online.
- If you take part in a conference organised by the controller – to CVent Inc., a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy Shield and providing, directly or through its subsidiaries, the software for the EMBL Events app.
- If you opt to receive newsletters – to The Rocket Science Group LLC d/b/a MailChimp, a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy Shield and providing the software and hardware that EMBL uses to send out communications about its training programme.
- If you take part in a training course – to Slack Technologies, Inc., a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy Shield and providing software for team collaboration.
- After you have attended a course or conference – to SurveyMonkey Inc., a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy shield and providing software for the surveys that give us your feedback.
- If you are participating in a course of conference – companies providing to the controller the following, or similar, types of services: catering, accommodation, security, transport and travel.
- During training events you may have access to additional community resources in which you may choose to provide personal data. You will not be obliged to do so but if you choose to do so you should be aware that your personal data will be shared with other course participants.
- If you submit an abstract to present at a conference or apply for financial assistance, your abstract and personal data will be shared with a committee of scientists, some of whom will be external to EMBL, for an evaluation and selection process.
- If you attend an EMBO Practical Course or an EMBO Workshop, your personal data will be shared with EMBO as part of the funding reporting and for surveys that give them your feedback.
- If you take part in a course or conference organised by the controller, your data will be shared with other participants of this course or conference, even with those that reside outside of the EEA.
Your personal data will be stored for as long as you may have an account on the controller’s registration system; thereafter they will be erased.
You may address to the Head of CCO a request to exercise your rights, e.g. to access, rectify, erase your personal data or to object to its processing. You may also lodge a complaint with the administrative authority supervising data protection at EMBL.
The Head of CCO can be contacted by webform here, by telephone at +49 6221 387 8797 or by post at:
Course and Conference Office
The data protection officer of EMBL, Mr. Ioannis Ntouvas, can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by telephone at +49 6221 387-8590 or by post at:
Ioannis Ntouvas, Data Protection Officer