Information for Data Subjects
According to Article 12 of the EMBL Internal Policy 68 (equiv. to Article 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679)
The personal data you provide to the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) upon registering for or expressing interest in attending a course or a conference as a member of the audience or invited speaker or are collected from EMBO courses and workshops organisers will be processed under the control of the EMBL Course and Conference Office (CCO) for the purpose of participation management, for documenting these events through public communication and promotion of EMBL activities, for provision of additional event services, for reports and surveys and to provide relevant information to your emergency contacts.
CCO will be processing your personal data to fulfil its mandate given by the agreement establishing EMBL in 1973 (link, provision of advanced training and teaching in molecular biology). An additional legal basis with regard to attending a course or a conference is the need to perform the service contract arising between you and EMBL when you register for one of the events. When individually depicted in photographs or video recordings or using additional services at the event, the legal basis is your consent. If you provide some contact details of your emergency person, you provide those upon their approval. CCO will be processing these upon its legitimate interests.
You are not obliged to provide your personal data to the controller. However, without it, CCO will not be able to facilitate your taking part in its courses or conferences.
Your personal data may be disclosed to recipients as and when set out below:
- If you choose to register for an event - to Ungerboeck Systems International GmbH, a German company which provides EMBL’s events software and operates the technical infrastructure for the database in which the data will be stored and/or to Eventsforce Solutions Ltd which provides events software to a small number of EMBL events.
- If you choose to pay the fees to attend the courses and conferences organised by the controller with a credit or debit card, your card details will be transferred to WorldPay Limited, a UK company used by EMBL to securely process payments online.
- If you take part in a conference organised by the controller – to CVent Inc., a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy Shield and providing, directly or through its subsidiaries, the software for the EMBL Events app.
- If you opt to receive newsletters – to The Rocket Science Group LLC d/b/a MailChimp, a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy Shield and providing the software and hardware that EMBL uses to send out communications about its training programme.
- If you take part in a conference or training course – to Slack Technologies, Inc., a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy Shield and providing software for team collaboration.
- After you have attended a course or conference – to SurveyMonkey Inc., a US company participating (link) in the EU-US Privacy shield and providing software for the surveys that give us your feedback.
- If you are participating in a course of conference – companies providing to the controller the following, or similar, types of services: catering, accommodation, security, transport and travel.
- During training events you may have access to additional community resources in which you may choose to provide personal data. You will not be obliged to do so but if you choose to do so you should be aware that your personal data will be shared with other course participants.
- If you submit an abstract to present at a conference or apply for financial assistance, your abstract and personal data will be shared with a committee of scientists, some of whom will be external to EMBL, for an evaluation and selection process.
- If you attend an EMBO Practical Course or an EMBO Workshop, your personal data will be shared with EMBO as part of the funding reporting and for surveys that give them your feedback.
- If you take part in a course or conference organised by the controller, some of your data will be shared with other participants of this course or conference, even with those that reside outside of the EEA.
- To various EMBL Units.
- To general public via press releases, printed materials or published materials on EMBL`s website or intranet site, Youtube channel, social network channels (via LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), EMBL Events Blog and EMBL Mediasite.
- To online channels and social media service providers such as YouTube LLC, LinkedIn Corp., Facebook Inc., Twitter Inc., all US companies, participating in the EU-US Privacy Shield.
- To Sonic Foundry Inc., providing EMBL Mediasite service, a US company participating in EU-US Privacy Shield (link).
- To Automattic Inc., offering blogging platform Wordpress to provide EMBL Events Blog (https://blogs.embl.org/), a US company participating in EU-US Privacy Shield (link).
- If you present a digital poster – to aMuze Interactive AB, a Swedish company providing software for the creation and presentation of digital posters (iPosterSessions).
- To other service providers at the events (to improve the quality of our services)
Personal data of your emergency contacts will be shared only with the events software provider under point 1 above.
Your personal data will be stored for as long as you may have an account on the controller’s registration system, however the data of your emergency contacts will be deleted after the event. Your published data on EMBL Internet site, EMBL intranet site, EMBL social media accounts, EMBL Mediasite and EMBL Blog will be kept for as long as the controller has the account open. Photos and video recordings will be stored for as long as it is necessary for the purpose of the CCO activity.
You may address to the Head of CCO a request to exercise your rights, e.g. to access, rectify, erase your personal data or to object to its processing or you may always withdraw your consent. You may also lodge a complaint with the administrative authority supervising data protection at EMBL.
The Head of CCO can be contacted by webform here: link, by telephone at +49 6221 387 8797 or by post at EMBL Heidelberg, Course and Conference Office, Meyerhofstraße 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany.
The Data Protection Officer of EMBL can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by telephone at +49 6221 387-8590 or by post at EMBL Heidelberg, Data Protection Officer, Meyerhofstraße 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany.
You may also lodge a complaint with the administrative authority supervising data protection at EMBL, Data Protection Committee, reached by post at EMBL Heidelberg, Meyerhofstraße 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany, or by E-mail email@example.com.