Organised by EICAT (PhD and Postdoctoral Programmes) together with EMBLEM, the long-standing annual EMBL Career Day provides an overview of non-academic career possibilities for scientists from all EMBL sites and the local scientific community.
A new event, the EMBL Academic Career Day, was also planned for 2020.
In 2020, these events have been converted into a webinar series covering both academic and non-academic careers.
After each webinar, there will also be meet the speaker sessions (12:10-12:30 or 12:35-12:55) so that participants can meet the speakers in small groups and ask additional questions in an informal atmosphere. Places in these sessions are limited - and are allocated to participants a few days before the webinar.
- Applying to group leader positions | 4 Dec 11:00-12:00 CET | register
- Panelists: Mónica Bettencourt-Dias, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Portugal; Jason Chin, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Biology, UK; Patrick Meraldi, Université de Genève, Switzerland
Our final webinar for 2020 is aimed at early career researchers who want to learn more about the application process for group leader roles. For this webinar, we have invited three senior group leaders to talk about the hiring process at their institute and their personal advice to applicants. register
EMBL Careers Webinars are free of charge and open to participants from EMBL and from other institutions. All participants must register for each webinar. Please see the links above to register for upcoming webinars.
Careers in science policy and administration | 27 Nov 11:00-12:00 CET
Speakers: Nadia El-Mjiyad, European Research Council, Belgium; James Morris, Science Europe, Belgium
Applying to postdoc fellowships | 13 Nov 11:00-12:00 CET
- Panelists: Ina Huppertz, EMBL Heidelberg, Germany; Barbara Pauly, Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP); Luca Scorrano, Veneto Institute of Molecular Medicine. Chaired by EMBL Grants Services.
- Careers in science communication | 30 Oct 11:00-12:00 CET
- Speakers: Lucas Sanchez, Scienseed, Spain; Sophie Lutter, OXGENE, UK
- Non-PI tracks in academic research | 16 Oct 11:00-12:00 CEST
- Speakers: Philippe Bun, INSERM / Institut of Pyschiatry and Neurosciences of Paris (IPNP), France; Selina Storm, Diamond Light Source, UK; Yasemin Türkyilmaz-van der Velden, TU Delft, Netherlands
- Careers in technology transfer and intellectual property | 25 Sep
- Speakers: Alexandra Esteras-Chopo, LifeArc, UK; Jonathan Rameseder, Patent Examiner, European Patent Office, NL
- How to choose a postdoc position | 11 Sep
- Panelists: Mariana De Niz, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Portugal; Kristina Havas-Cavalletti, IFOM, Italy; Brooke Morriswood, University of Würzburg, Germany.
- Making the transition to a group leader role | 24 July
- Panelists: Sophie Acton, MRC LMCB, UK; Maria Bernabeu, EMBL, Spain; Sebastian Waszak, Centre for Molecular Medicine Norway (NCMM)
- Careers in pharma & biotech R&D | 3 July
- Speakers: Tamara Maes, Oryzon Genomics, Spain & Iris Valtingojer, Sanofi, France