Organised by EICAT (PhD and Postdoctoral Programmes) together with EMBLEM, the long-standing annual EMBL Career Day provides an overview of non-academic career possibilities for scientists from all EMBL sites and the wider scientific community. A new event, the EMBL Academic Career Day, was also planned for 2020.
In 2020 and 2021, these events are replaced by webinars covering both academic and non-academic careers.
- Core Facility Management | Friday 16 April 2021 | 11:00-12:00 CET | register
- Alexander Botzki, Head of VIB Bio-informatics Core, BE; Kim Remans, Head of EMBL Protein Expression and Purification Core Facility; Lucy Collinson + Raffaella Carzaniga, Head + Deputy Head, Electron Microscopy Science Technology Platform, Francis Crick Institute, UK
- Industry Postdoc Positions | Friday 14 May 2021 | 11:00-12:00 CET | register
- Nicci Smith, GSK, UK; Sebastian Brosig, Novartis, CH; Nadine Biesemann, Sanofi, DE
- Note: for EMBL fellows, we also have an internal careers panel on Friday 11 June - details on the intranet here
EMBL Careers Webinars are free of charge and open to participants from EMBL and from other institutions. They are aimed at PhDs and postdocs in the life sciences; scientists at different career stages and fields are also welcome to attend. All participants must register for each webinar. Please see the links above to register for upcoming webinars.
- Scientific Sales & Marketing | 25 Feb 2021
- Speakers: Gundula Sprick, Account Manager Biotechs, Life Sciences Solutions, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Germany; Scott Brouilette, Associate Director, Regional Marketing EMEA, 10x genomics, UK
- Data Science | 11 Feb 2021
- Speakers: Sarah Carl, Director of Data Science, Scailyte AG, Switzerland; Jonathan Leslie, Director of Data Science, Pivigo, UK.
- Applying to group leader positions | 4 Dec 2020
- Panelists: Mónica Bettencourt-Dias, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Portugal; Jason Chin, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Biology, UK; Patrick Meraldi, Université de Genève, Switzerland
- Careers in science policy and administration | 27 Nov 2020
- Speakers: Nadia El-Mjiyad, European Research Council, Belgium; James Morris, Science Europe, Belgium
- Applying to postdoc fellowships | 13 Nov 2020 11:00-12:00 CET
- Panelists: Ina Huppertz, EMBL Heidelberg, Germany; Barbara Pauly, Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP); Luca Scorrano, Veneto Institute of Molecular Medicine. Chaired by EMBL Grants Services.
- Careers in science communication | 30 Oct 2020
- Speakers: Lucas Sanchez, Scienseed, Spain; Sophie Lutter, OXGENE, UK
- Non-PI tracks in academic research | 16 Oct 2020
- Speakers: Philippe Bun, INSERM / Institut of Pyschiatry and Neurosciences of Paris (IPNP), France; Selina Storm, Diamond Light Source, UK; Yasemin Türkyilmaz-van der Velden, TU Delft, Netherlands
- Careers in technology transfer and intellectual property | 25 Sep 2020
- Speakers: Alexandra Esteras-Chopo, LifeArc, UK; Jonathan Rameseder, Patent Examiner, European Patent Office, NL
- How to choose a postdoc position | 11 Sep 2020
- Panelists: Mariana De Niz, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Portugal; Kristina Havas-Cavalletti, IFOM, Italy; Brooke Morriswood, University of Würzburg, Germany.
- Making the transition to a group leader role | 24 July 2020
- Panelists: Sophie Acton, MRC LMCB, UK; Maria Bernabeu, EMBL, Spain; Sebastian Waszak, Centre for Molecular Medicine Norway (NCMM)
- Careers in pharma & biotech R&D | 3 July 2020
- Speakers: Tamara Maes, Oryzon Genomics, Spain & Iris Valtingojer, Sanofi, France